- Have a quiet location set for the recording time to minimize background noise
- If possible, have your computer plugged in with a hard-wired internet connection (Cat-5).
- Have light cast on you from the front or side. Do not be positioned in front of a window or light brighter than your front and sidelights.
- Plug your headset into your laptop or desktop computer. If your computer does not have a microphone, please attach an external microphone via USB or 3.5mm jack.
- Keep your microphone muted until you are ready to speak. Allow 10 seconds before speaking once unmuting yourself.
- Allow 3 seconds prior to speaking when switching slides.
- Ensure that the platform you are using can export the video in 1080p or higher to allow for post-recording editing if needed.
- Depending on the program you are using, your camera may block a portion of the slide. Please review slide content prior to recording to ensure all content is in view.
Prepare your slides or Video Presentation, and then prepare to record your lectures. Go to https://www.loom.com and click on “Get Loom”. It is recommended to use the Pro version of Loom so you can export your file in 1080p format. Follow the instructions to sign up, verify your e-mail and download the Desktop App. Run the program installer and install the program. Login and select your desired camera and microphone, open up the presentation that you want to record and click “Start Recording”. When you are finished, click the red square on the left of the screen. A new browser window will pop up with your video recorded. Use the Download button to download the MP4 file to your computer.
- Export your file at a minimum 1080 HD video (or higher) resolution. The free version is too low of quality once we were to edit in graphics.
- You may need to have Admin rights on your computer to download and install the App.
- The camera feed can only be overlaid on the slides and not positioned to the side. Because of this, all slides will need to be designed with the lower 3rd blank.
In the 2019 or 365 version of PowerPoint presenters may record their talk, with or without their face showing. This is done in the “Slide Show” tab, selecting “Record Slide Show”. Once complete, presenters should go to the “File” tab, select “Export,” then “Create Video”. In order to display properly select “Full HD (1080p) from the dropdown. This is the high definition format.
When you start the Zoom Meeting Application, you will see a settings wheel icon in the top right of the application window:
- Click the Settings button.
- Click the “Video” menu on the settings column on the left-hand side of the screen.
- If you would like to record your webcam along with your presentation, Uncheck “Turn off my video when joining meeting”.
- If you don’t want to record your webcam along with your presentation, Check “Turn off my video when joining meeting”.
- Click the “Audio” menu on the settings column on the left-hand side of the screen.
- Check your speaker and microphone to make sure you can hear yourself in your microphone. Ensure the correct Speaker and Microphone is selected in the dropdown list if you have trouble hearing yourself.
- Click the “Recording” menu on the settings column on the left-hand side of the screen.
- Make note of the location where your Zoom recordings are stored, you can change this by clicking the “Change” button.
- Optional: There is an option to choose where to store your recordings after each meeting ends.
- If you would like to record your webcam along with your presentation, Check the “Record video during screen sharing” checkbox, this will reveal another checkbox “Place video next to the shared screen in the recording”, check this checkbox as well.
- If you don’t want to record your webcam along with your presentation, uncheck “Record video during screen sharing.”
- Close the Settings window.
- Click the “New Meeting” button on the Zoom Meeting Application home screen.
- Click the “Join with Computer Audio” button.
- Click the “Share Screen” button on the bottom of your screen.
- Ensure “Screen” is highlighted in blue.
- Check the box “Share Computer Sound” in the bottom left corner.
- DO NOT check the box “Optimize Screen Sharing for Video Clip” this will prevent you from recording your mouse activity and your Webcam.
- Click the “Share” button in the bottom right corner.
- To begin recording there are several ways to do this depending on the type of computer you have:
- On Windows PC we recommend this for a smooth recording: Press and hold down ALT + R to start the recorder. To pause recording at any time press and hold down ALT + P. To unpause the recording press and hold down ALT + P again.
- On Mac we recommend this method for a smooth recording: Press and hold Shift + Command + R to start the recorder. To pause recording at any time press and hold down Shift + Command + P. To unpause the recording press and hold down Shift + Command + P again.
- Alternate method on Mac or PC that may require video editing afterwards: Drag your mouse to the Zoom Meeting Control panel. Hover over the “more” menu and select the “Record” option.
- If you selected to record your Webcam, you can hide the webcam while you give your presentation at any time by hovering over the webcam video and clicking the grey minimize button. The webcam will disappear and will now only be a small black bar. You can show the webcam again by hovering over the black bar and clicking the grey maximize button. note: Whenever you hide the webcam video it will disappear in the recording, whenever the webcam is visible you will see it in the recording in it’s own area outside of your presentation. So at no point in your presentation recording will the presentation be obscured by your Webcam video.
- When you are finished with your presentation there are several ways to stop recording and they depend on the type of computer you have:
- On Windows PC we recommend this for a smooth recording: Press and hold down ALT + R to stop the recorder.
- On Mac we recommend this method for a smooth recording: Press and hold Shift + Command + R to stop the recorder.
- Alternate method on Mac or PC that may require video editing afterwards: Drag your mouse to the Zoom Meeting Control panel. Hover over the “more” menu and select the “Stop Recording” option.
- Drag your mouse to the top of the screen and click the red “Stop Share” button.
- Click the red “End Meeting” button in the lower right corner of the screen.
- Click end meeting for all.
- Wait for the Zoom Meeting App to finish converting your recording.
- Click on the mp4 to review your recording.
Tutorial 1: Downloading and Installing the Zoom Meeting App, and creating a Zoom Meeting Account
Tutorial 2: Record Your Presentation and your Webcam Simultaneously
Tutorial 3: Record Your Presentation without Webcam
For those who will be presenting a surgical video, or a video without needing to display the presenter’s face the following are preferred video formats:
- PC – MPEG4/AVC or H.264 (.MP4)
- Mac – QuickTime H.264/AAC (.MOV)